Photo: Ceramics by Maria Wojdat
We’re looking for maternity cover for our part-time Marketing Coordinator.
Marketing Coordinator (Maternity Cover)
Hours: 3 days per week
Salary: £25,000 per annum pro rata
Employment type: Maternity cover
Location: Contemporary Ceramics, 63 Great Russell St, London WC1B 3BF
We’re looking for a capable marketer to provide maternity cover for our wonderful Marketing Coordinator, Caroline, who is due to have a baby in January 2020. Your post will focus on enacting and evolving the marketing strategy for our successful gallery, Contemporary Ceramics, as well as working across our other entities as required. You must be intelligent, efficient and organised with a strong aesthetic sense and good writing skills.
We are a busy and successful ceramics organisation, on a sound financial footing and with a growing audience. In addition to Contemporary Ceramics, our activities include a long-running and expanding magazine, a membership of 1,600-plus ceramic artists and enthusiasts, and major live ceramics events around the country. We have a strong and rapidly growing audience on social media and increasing attendance at our events year on year.
While you will focus on marketing our gallery, you will get involved with promoting other activities as needed. You will also be part of the CPA’s public face, representing us alongside others at exhibitions, ceramics fairs and private views. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required as well as occasional travel; time off in lieu is offered along with a travel allowance, plus overtime payment for weekend work. We also offer a generous 32 days holiday a year pro rata including public holidays.
You will be well supported by team members and external freelancers as required and work at our offices opposite the British Museum in Bloomsbury. You will work to and be supported by the Business Manager.
- Engage and build our community both online and offline
- Enact and update the marketing strategy for our gallery
- Act as the gallery’s overall brand steward, helping to implement a newly commissioned brand identity and further populate a new website
- Devise and implement marketing strategies and advertising campaigns for our other work
- Use analytics to understand our audience and target new ones
- Work with designers to develop persuasive marketing materials
- Submit listings and maintain our public profile
- Pitch to our media contacts for feature and review coverage
- Organise marketing-linked events
- Create press releases, mailouts and newsletters
- Manage the advertising program and ensure ads are targeted and relevant
- Where required work on other public-facing elements of the organisation such as websites, publications, etc.
You are an enthusiastic self-starter, able to look at a situation, work out what’s required, make a plan and implement it.
You are able to write seductive copy, choose images and work with graphic designers to produce punchy and effective marketing.
You have knowledge of the marketing channels available and ways to use them: social media, mailing lists, advertising, videos, print publicity, partnerships.
You are friendly and flexible, able to listen and learn and to work with a broad range of stakeholders on a wide variety of projects.
Experience / Skills Required
- An enthusiastic work ethic, including the ability to work alone and manage your own time
- Ability to create marketing and press copy
- Ability to edit other people’s copy into an attractive result
- Ability to work with designers to curate attractive marketing materials, from print publicity to Mailchimp campaigns
- Ability to work with and manage other staff, freelancers and suppliers
- Ability to create and work to a budget
- Minimum two years’ experience in marketing – can be as part of a broader brief (e.g., running your own arts or crafts organisation)
- Ability to analyse evidence and feedback to inform your activities
- Confident computer skills
- Strong negotiating skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- A sensitivity to good branding and aesthetics
- Familiarity with WordPress, Mailchimp and other website backends
- Knowledge of photo-editing and layout software
- A knowledge of and appreciation for ceramics or crafts in general
- A UK driving licence
The Craft Potters Association is a cooperative of makers that has been representing the best makers in British studio ceramics since 1958, and today is the UK’s largest and most diverse ceramics community. With a membership of over 1,600, the CPA links a huge network of ceramists, collectors and enthusiasts from across the country. We are not for profit and owned by our members. We are financially independent and not reliant on any grants or external funding.
We run Contemporary Ceramics, our central London gallery opposite the British Museum, selling work by our members and mounting monthly exhibitions by top ceramists. Founded in 1960, the gallery had its most successful year ever in 2017.
Every other month we publish Ceramic Review magazine, the leading voice in international ceramics since 1970 with healthy subscriptions and a fast-rising online profile.
We run three major UK ceramics selling fairs, which have seen rapid rises in audiences of the past two years.
We aim to treat our employees fairly and be open-eared and egalitarian.
How to Apply
Please send the following:
1. A CV
2. A letter of maximum two sides of A4 outlining your suitability for and interest in the position, with reference to the Person Specification above
3. Two pieces of marketing (links are acceptable) for which you have been responsible in some way – it could be a flyer, website, press release, Facebook page, video, newsletter, business card, etc., relating to any area of activity, not just arts or crafts
4. 200 words of promotional copy for an exhibition by a ceramist of your choice. This will never be used commercially by us.
Due to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am on Monday 11 November, 2019, with interviews planned for the following week.
Click to download a PDF of the job details: