Craft Potters Association, London
Hours: 4 days per week
Salary: £28,000 per annum pro rata
Employment type: Permanent
Location: Contemporary Ceramics, 63 Great Russell St, London WC1B 3BF
Employer: Craft Potters Association, Contemporary Ceramics, Ceramic Review Publishing
As the only specific marketing role in our small business (12 employees, 3 freelance) you will have a broad brief across a diverse organisation, with a lot of autonomy and the chance to implement your own ideas. This position will suit someone with great ability and imagination seeking to build their experience and portfolio.
As our marketing co-ordinator you will:
– know your way around Facebook and Google Adwords and Adsense backends, lookalike audiences, and how to analyse the data to make sure we’re using our assets effectively
- use your aesthetic sense to work with graphic designers, photographers and web programmers to generate beautiful and persuasive print and digital marketing material of the highest standard
- write approachable informed copy designed to sell ceramics, invite audiences and seduce new buyers
- use statistics and analytics to get to know our audience and understand better how to grow it
- be confident around IT, Google problems when you find them and engage with the tech support on chat
- go and find the information you need to build great stories, consulting our gallery manager, magazine editor and interviewing the makers themselves
We are the UK’s primary force in handmade ceramics, more than 60 years old, on a sound financial footing and with a growing audience. You’ll be mainly involved in our gallery, Contemporary Ceramics, and its successful new COVID-beating online outlet, but you will also work with our expanding profile of live events around the country and our print and digital magazine.
In addition to Contemporary Ceramics, our activities include Ceramic Review, a long-running and expanding magazine, a membership of 1,600-plus ceramic artists and enthusiasts, and live ceramics events. We have a strong and rapidly growing audience on social media and increasing attendance at our events year on year. Our main event, Ceramic Art London, attracted around 5,000 visitors in 2019 (cancelled in 2020 due to COVID) and our webshop attracts around 100,000 visitors a month.
Occasional evening and weekend work will be required as well as occasional travel; time off in lieu is offered along with a travel allowance, plus overtime payment for weekend work.
We have offices below our gallery in Great Russell Street, directly opposite the British Museum in the heart of Bloomsbury, and you will be working surrounded by beautiful objects at the centre of an inspiring creative business. We are currently remote working during lockdown, and some remote working will be possible by agreement into the future.
You will report to the Business Manager and collaborate with other staff. The role does not carry any downward line management responsibility.
Central London premises in an attractive environment
20 days holiday a year pro rata plus bank holidays
Industry and general training support options
Participate in out of office events such as our ceramic art fairs
Ability to shape the role
- Engage and build our community both online and offline
- Enact and update the marketing strategy for our gallery
- Act as the gallery’s overall brand steward, helping to implement a newly commissioned brand identity and further populate a new website
- Devise and implement marketing strategies and advertising campaigns for our other work
- Use analytics to understand our audience and target new ones
- Work with designers to develop persuasive marketing materials
- Submit listings and maintain our public profile
- Pitch to our media contacts for feature and review coverage
- Organise marketing-linked events
- Create press releases, mailouts and newsletters
- Manage the advertising program and ensure ads are targeted and relevant
- Where required work on other public-facing elements of the organisation such as websites, publications, etc.
You are an enthusiastic self-starter, able to look at a situation, work out what’s required, make a plan and implement it, while respecting the legacy of the brand.
You are able to write seductive copy, choose images and work with graphic designers to produce punchy and effective marketing.
You have knowledge of the marketing channels available and ways to use them: social media, mailing lists, advertising, videos, print publicity, partnerships.
You are friendly and flexible, able to listen and learn and to work with a broad range of stakeholders on a wide variety of projects.
EXPERIENCE / SKILLS REQUIRED
- An enthusiastic work ethic, including the ability to work alone and manage your own time
- Ability to create marketing and press copy
- Ability to edit other people’s copy into an attractive result
- Ability to work with designers to curate attractive marketing materials, from print publicity to Mailchimp campaigns
- Ability to work with and manage other staff, freelancers and suppliers
- Ability to create and work to a budget
- Minimum two years’ experience in marketing – can be as part of a broader brief
- Ability to analyse evidence and feedback to inform your activities
- Confident computer skills
- Strong negotiating skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- A sensitivity to good branding and aesthetics
- Familiarity with WordPress, Mailchimp and other website backends
- Familiarity with Facebook Ads Manager, Google Adwords & Adsense
- Knowledge of photo-editing and layout software
- A knowledge of and appreciation for ceramics or crafts in general
- A UK driving licence
The Craft Potters Association is a co-operative of makers that has been representing the best makers in British studio ceramics since 1958, and today is the UK’s largest and most diverse ceramics community. With a membership well over 1,000, the CPA links a huge network of ceramists, collectors and enthusiasts from across the country. We are not for profit and owned by our members. We are financially independent and not reliant on any grants or external funding.
We run Contemporary Ceramics, our central London gallery opposite the British Museum, selling work by our members and mounting monthly exhibitions by top ceramicists. Founded in 1960, the gallery recently launched online sales.
Every two months we publish Ceramic Review magazine; the leading voice in international ceramics since 1970 with healthy subscriptions and a fast-rising online profile.
We run three major UK ceramic selling fairs, which have seen rapid rises in audiences over the past few years.
We aim to treat our employees fairly and be open-eared and egalitarian.
To apply, please send the following:
- A CV
- Two pieces of marketing (links are acceptable) for which you’ve been responsible in some way – it could be a website, press release, Facebook page, video, newsletter, etc. – including at least 200 words of copy.